Skip to content

Change of university, subject change, lateral entry

Who can apply as an advanced student?

Students who have already been enrolled in a degree program (study program with degree) for at least one semester at another university or can evidence having earned credits in another degree program may apply as advanced students: Students who are already enrolled in a study program with several subjects at the University of Bremen and would like to change a subject and cannot prove having earned credits, apply as first-semester students.

The advanced status will be examined by the Office for Student Affairs in the course of the application process. Possible recognition of previously completed course work is only possible after registration on the part of the responsible examination office.

Only one application for an advanced student

Advanced applicants can only submit one application because they wish to continue their studies at the University of Bremen.


Central Student Advisory Service
VWG, ground floor

Advisory hours:
Mon, Tue, Thu 9-12 a.m., Wed 2-4 p.m.

+49 (0) 421 218-61160
zsbprotect me ?!uni-bremenprotect me ?!.de

Are you a transfer student or a newcomer?

If you wish to change your university, you cannot be enrolled as a first-semester student: You can only be enrolled in continuation of the semesters studied at the other institution, e.g. 2nd, 3rd, 4th semester. Admission as an advanced student is only possible if it accords with the program offered, i.e. advanced students can only be enrolled if the bachelor program is offered in the corresponding semester.

Transfer students are students from the University of Bremen or other universities who would like to change their subject and / or degree program. A change of subject usually takes place in the 1st semester of the winter semester.

Newcomers are students from the University of Bremen or other universities who are applying for a higher semester in a related field of study. The prerequisites for this are recognized credits of at least 1 semester from their previous studies.

Change to the summer semester

The University of Bremen does not accept undergraduate students In the summer semester (exceptions: Vocational Training, Nursing Science dual programs), so that only advanced students can apply who have credits of at least one semester for the chosen subject.

No guarantee for seamless continuation of studies
A number of study programs offer one-year introductory modules that students cannot enroll for in the summer semester. Therefore, even if you get a place to study for the summer semester, there can be no guarantee for a seamless continuation of your studies. Please contact your program advisor or study center.

De-registration and recognition of credits

It is not possible to enroll at different universities at the same time. Therefore, proof of de-registering at the previous university must be submitted when you change to the University of Bremen. Applicants for restricted admission subjects should wait before de-registering until they have received a study place at the University of Bremen.

Only after enrollment at the University of Bremen can an application for recognition of previously earned credits be submitted to the responsible examination office. If you want to know more, you should contact the program advisor or the study center. You will find the contact details of the respective field of study in the Studies Database.

There are no fixed deadlines for applying for recognition of credits at the Examination Office, but a speedy application is recommended to facilitate planning your future studies. Earned credits do not have a “expiry date”, but from time to time examination regulations change, so that also the recognition regulations may also change.

Students who change to teacher training courses should first of all turn to the study center at the Teacher Training Center, especially because of the required in-school practicals.

Chances of success for change of university

If the degree program at the University of Bremen is open admission, the change is not a problem. If the degree course has restricted admission, the application will have to be processed in the course of an admission procedure. As a rule, there are only a few places available for restricted admission subjects. These are awarded primarily to university changers. Applications for a study place via lateral entry in subjects with restricted admission will only be considered in the event that study places have remained vacant following the admission of university changeover students. The chance to get a place in a restricted subject via lateral entry is therefore usually very low!

At the University of Bremen, only the average grade of the higher education entrance qualification, usually Abitur, is taken into account as the award criterion. Waiting times do not play a role.

IMPORTANT: Program-specific requirements!

At the University of Bremen many program-specific requirements must be evidenced with the application (for example, language certificates, music entrance examination, internships). You will find the requirements specific to your field of study in the Studies Database.

Change of university after a failed final exam

It is not possible to change university to study the same or similar subject if you have definitively failed an examination in the same or similar study program elsewhere.

To find out whether a change to a related program that does not include this exam is possible, please contact the respective program advisor or the Examinations Office. The same applies to the question of whether a change to a university of applied sciences may be possible. You will also find hints on the page Definitively Failed - what to do?”

Change of subject and BAföG

If you receive BAföG, be sure to seek advice from the BAföG & Sozialberatung at the AStA or the BAföG office before changing your subject.